Chris Marlow, founder of Help One Now, talks about his upbringing, the people that impacted his life, the inflection point that was the catalyst for starting Help One Now, and what it takes to run a great nonprofit business.
Chris Marlow founded Help One Now after meeting a starving young orphan at an abandoned gas station in Zimbabwe. That encounter compelled him to dedicate his life to seeking justice by empowering high-capacity local leaders to care for orphans, vulnerable children, and see their communities transform. His passion is organizing tribes of everyday people to partner with global movements that do good.
Chris is a sought-after speaker on topics of justice, mission, leadership, and organizational development, and he is also available to coach leaders who are looking to launch, grow, and sustain their organization well.
Chris lives in downtown Raleigh, NC, with his wife, two daughters, and a German Shepherd pup named Skye.
Some Questions We Ask:
- When he hears the word “successful,” who’s the first person that comes to mind, and why?
- When he was 16, who were those people who lifted him up? What did they do?
- What is the biggest change in him in the last 6 – 7 years, just in starting this business, in going to these countries and talking with these kids?
There is a lot more unity, and love and care in the world than we think.
- What do they do to get donors invested in those experiences and bring them in, so that they feel like an owner almost?
- What sort of work do they do in Haiti?
- What is the book, or couple of books, that has most impacted him, and why?
- Jim Collins books
- Extreme Ownership: How U.S. Navy SEALs Lead and Win by Jocko Willink and Leif Babin
- Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet by Jesse Itzler
- What about documentaries?
- If he could have dinner with one person he admires, past or present, who would it be and why?
- Nelson Mandela
- Steve Jobs
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
- The catalyst for Chris at that time to really reflect on making a change in his life
Whatever kind of dream you’re pursuing, playing it safe is never going to get you where you want to go.
- Help One Now’s mission, the countries they’re in, and the type of work that the team is doing.
- The reason that he wrote the book Doing Good Is Simple: Making A Difference Right Where You Are, who they’re trying to draw in and to make an impact?
Serving others is a beautiful, joyful thing and it should bring hope and energy to our lives.
- One action step or small win that you would tell the listeners
No matter who you are, no matter where you live, no matter what your history is, you already have something in your abilities to make the world a better.
- The biggest mistake that people do in running a nonprofit, and how to overcome that
We all need to learn the discipline of saying No and being committed to our Yeses.
For instructions on how to rate and review the podcast, click this link.