Jim Harshaw of Wrestling with Success Podcast talks about his blue-collar upbringing and how it set the tone for his approach to sports and business, and about his crushing defeat at the end of his wrestling career and why that was the best moment of his life.
Failure, struggle and setbacks are not only an inevitable part of life but a necessary step on the path to success.
Jim Harshaw has learned many life lessons on the wrestling mat. Having been a Division I All American and won three ACC Championships for the University of Virginia, trained at the Olympic Training Center and competed overseas for Team USA, he has experienced significant triumph and devastating defeat. He relates those powerful lessons of failure, struggle and setback to empower his audiences to overcome their own challenges and achieve success despite their inevitable failures.
Jim is a speaker, executive coach and host of the Wrestling with Success podcast.
Some Questions We Ask:
- What sort of lessons did he learn from his parents, in the way that they modeled behavior and how they lived life that now affect him everyday?
- Is there a book that has most influenced him, and why?
- How To Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie
- If he could have dinner with one person he admires, past or present, who would it be and why?
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
“Just focus on what you can do. Focus on that process, and not the outcome.”
“Failure is a necessary step on the path to success.”
- How do you teach a kid who doesn’t have to struggle that much in their life to become the type of person that they need to become, to have peace of mind in their success?
- What he teaches his coaching clients and his overall practice.
Why I teach my children to fail | Jim Harshaw
Blueprint for Success: http://jimharshawjr.com/adversity/
For instructions on how to rate and review the podcast, click this link.