Pac-12 football analyst and world traveller Yogi Roth talks about what he learned from his grandparents, about perspectives and standing on the shoulders of giants, his daily routines, and what he does everyday to continue to move forward and take action.
Yogi Roth is a Pac-12 Networks college football analyst, Filmmaker, Scholar, New York Times Best-Selling Author, accomplished Coach, Motivational Speaker, Media Personality, Host and World-Traveler who has been studying human potential for over a decade.
Yogi began his collegiate career as an athlete at the University of Pittsburgh where he walked on the football team earning a full athletic scholarship as a wide receiver. He then began a coaching career on the staff of Pete Carroll at USC. After graduating magna cum laude and earning his master’s degree in communication management from the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, he rose through the coaching ranks, where he would become USC’s assistant Quarterbacks Coach. After four years on the USC coaching staff he transitioned to media, where he began a career as a college football analyst and host for ESPN, Fox and the Pac-12 Networks.
After pitching and producing his first documentary for ESPN, 3 FOR THE SHOW, Yogi became hooked on storytelling.
He co-wrote the book, WIN FOREVER (2010) with Pete Carroll, as well as his own book, FROM PA TO LA (2010). In 2011, he continued to hone his storytelling craft as a producer on DEPTH CHART.
He currently serves as a producer and narrator on the Pac-12 Network’s groundbreaking series THE DRIVE, which follows a football program intimately throughout a season. Most recently, Roth made his directorial debut with the documentary feature film, LIFE IN A WALK, which follows Yogi and his father, Will, on their trek along the Camino De Santiago, a famous pilgrimage through Portugal and Spain.
An expert traveler, Yogi has traveled to over 20 countries exploring the power of sport in each society. In 2014, he sailed around Cape Horn, South America, filming the documentary titled, THE CAPE, which is in post-production and scheduled for release in 2017.
Yogi is also the co-founder of Win Forever, LLC with Pete Carroll, which is an applied mindset training program for corporate leaders to develop a culture of high performance for individuals and teams to become the very best in their fields.
Some Questions We Ask:
- What’s the first word or person that comes to mind when he hears the word “successful” ?
- Is there somebody who’s a model for him as far as the passion that they have?
- What would he say to someone who missed the opportunity [to ask] but still wants to learn?
- Why did he decide to leave coaching and get into media, or travel?
- What is the structure that he has in place for preparing so that he is polished in that situation?
- Are there any books that he would recommend to the audience, and why?
What You’ll Learn In This Episode:
- Yogi’s family’s journey: the story of his grandmother and grandfather and what they went through to provide the life that he has.
On his grandparents:
I learned how to love from them. They should have and could have hated the world, and never went down that road.
- His thoughts on presence and its importance in using adversity to your advantage
- The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hanh
The ultimate robbery in life is thinking so far ahead that you miss what’s happening right now because so many simple joys happen daily.
- The 2-3 key skills in creating opportunities if somebody wants to achieve impact in their life
For instructions on how to rate and review the podcast, click this link.